Steaks with chipotle pesto
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 4-6 minutes
4 thin cut steaks
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
1 tbsp sunflower oil
For the chipotle pesto
2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
100ml (31⁄2fl oz) sunflower oil
50g (2oz) toasted pine nuts
For the corn relish
3 dried chipotle chillies (available at large supermarkets)
50g (2oz) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp cold water
2 tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
Oil, for brushing steaks
100g (4oz) sweetcorn kernels, canned, fresh or frozen
1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 small red chilli pepper, deseeded and chopped
3 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
Juice of 1⁄2 lime
1 tsp caster sugar
1. To prepare the chipotle pesto; put the garlic into a food processor or blender with the oil. Process until well combined. Add the pine nuts and chipotle chillies. Blend to a pesto consistency.
2. Transfer to a medium bowl and add the cheese, water and parsley. Stir to combine, season if required and set aside.
3. To prepare the sweetcorn relish; if using fresh or frozen sweetcorn, cook in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, or until tender, drain and set aside to cool.
4. Mix the corn with the remaining ingredients. Season to taste and set aside.
5. Heat a non-stick pan until hot. Season the steaks, brush with oil on both sides and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side. Top with a spoonful of the pesto and leave to rest for 1-2 minutes.
6. Serve the steaks with the corn relish and griddled peppers.
Cover and store any remaining pesto in the fridge for up to a week.
Recipe and image courtesy of simplybeefandlamb.co.uk