Sticky ginger cake
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 1 cake
150ml (5floz) soya milk (or dairy-free alternative)
2 tbsp black treacle
100ml (31/2oz) groundnut oil
225g (8oz) self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
100g dark soft brown sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
50g (2oz) crystallised ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/R4.
2. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin.
3. Beat the soya milk, treacle and oil together. Add the flour, baking powder, sugar, both gingers and mix well.
4. Stir the vinegar and bicarbonate of soda together, add to the batter and mix well.
5. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 35-40 minutes.
6. Check the cake is cooked by inserting a skewer into the cake and if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked.
7. Allow to stand in the tin for a minute or two before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
8. The sticky sugar and treacle produce a really sticky cake that will be even better after a day or two!
Recipe and image courtesy of www.whitworths-sugar.co.uk