Sticky Lamb Ribs
Preparation time: 30minutes, plus marinating time
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
1.3kg/3lb lean lamb ribs
For the Marinade:
1 small onion, peeled and grated
300ml/½pint ginger ale or cola
30ml/2tbsp light soy sauce
30ml/2tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
30ml/2tbsp runny honey
Freshly milled black pepper
For the Tomato, Pasta and Pea Salad:
200g/7oz dried pasta shapes, cooked, drained and cooled
200g/7oz cherry or baby plum tomatoes, halved
100g/4oz fresh or frozen shelled peas, blanched in hot water
30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
For the Vinaigrette Dressing:
1 small shallot, peeled and finely chopped
15ml/1tbsp white wine or cider vinegar
45ml/3tbsp extra virgin rapeseed or olive oil
1. To prepare the marinade; in a large non-metallic dish mix all the ingredients together. Add the lamb and marinate for a minimum of 2 hours, or overnight if time allows.
2. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6, 200°C/400°F.
3. Remove the lamb from the marinade and transfer to a large non-stick roasting tin. Roast for 1 hour covered with foil, turning once. Remove the foil, return to the oven uncovered for the final 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile prepare the salad; put the pasta, tomatoes, peas and parsley in a large bowl.
5. In a small screw-topped jar with a lid mix all the vinaigrette ingredients together. Pour the mixture over the salad then toss gently.
6. Transfer the ribs to a large plate and serve with the salad.
For barbecue style ribs, coat the ribs in 150ml/¼pint prepared barbecue sauce and cook according to the method instructions.