Sticky toffee squares with toffee sauce
50g unsalted butter
175g light brown muscovado sugar
200g self raising flour, sifted
1 tbsp golden syrup
2 tbsp black treacle
2 medium eggs, beaten
1 tbsp The Flavour Collective Roasted Hazelnut coffee dissolved in 2 tsp hot water
225g pitted dates, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
For the sauce:
100g light brown muscovado sugar
100g unsalted butter
180ml double cream
1 tbsp The Flavour Collective Smooth Caramel coffee dissolved in 2tsp hot water
For the caramel shard:
100g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Grease and line a 23cm square tin with non stick parchment paper on the sides and base.
- For the caramel shard, heat the sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and, without stirring, heat until the sugar dissolves. When the sugar darkens to a deep caramel colour, using an oiled spoon, drizzle the caramel onto a piece of non-stick baking paper and set aside to cool.
- For the cake mixture, cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in the flour, syrup, black treacle, eggs and coffee.
- Meanwhile, put the dates in a pan with 300ml water, bring to the boil then simmer for around 8 minutes until the dates are soft. Leave to cool for 10 minutes and then stir in bicarbonate of soda. Process the in a blender until smooth then carefully stir into the flour mixture.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until firm.
- To make the sauce, put all the ingredients into a pan and continually stirring until it comes to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- To serve, cut the cake into squares and drizzle with the sauce. Break up the cooled caramel slab into shards and place on top of cake square to decorate.