Strawberry Fizz Cocktail
Making a cordial from fresh fruit is easy – pop in a pan and simmer with sugar and water until the fruit has flavoured the syrup. Strain and bottle, then pour a little into a glass and top up with water and ice, or try the serving suggestion, below.
For the strawberry syrup
100g granulated sugar
A squeeze of lemon juice
Extra strawberries, slices of lemon, mint, SuperValu soda water and SuperValu lemonade
- Roughly chop the strawberries and put in a pan with the sugar, lemon juice and 100ml water. Heat gently to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes to allow the strawberries to break down, mashing with a spoon to help them on their way.
- Strain the strawberry mixture through a sieve resting over a bowl, stirring well with a wooden spoon to extract all the juice.
- Pour into a sterilised jar and store in the fridge for up to a week.
- To enjoy, pour 6 tbsp syrup into a large jug. Add chopped strawberries, lemon slices, mint and ice, then top up with SuperValu soda water or lemonade. Taste for strength – you may need to add a splash more syrup or water – then pour among eight glasses.
Per serving: 25cals / 0g fat / 0g sat fat / 6g carbs / 6g sugar / trace salt