Sweet potato, beetroot and fennel salad
Preparation time: 15 minutes
1 large sweet potato, peeled
1 raw beetroot, peeled
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
Small bunch mint
Small bunch flat parsley
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Salt (optional) and cracked black pepper
5-8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Using a potato peeler, slice the flesh of the beetroot into thin strips, place in a large bowl of cold water and leave to soak. (You will need to change the water a few times to make sure the beetroot doesn’t stain the rest of the ingredients.)
- Cut the flesh of the raw sweet potato into strips and place in a large bowl. Add the fennel.
- With a potato peeler, remove the zest from the orange, cut into thin strips. Then remove the peel from the orange with a knife, and cut the flesh into segments. Add to the sweet potato.
- When the beetroot has stopped losing colour, drain and spin in a salad spinner to remove any excess fluid, then add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Pick the leaves from the mint and parsley, and add to the salad together with the garlic, salt if used, cracked black pepper and some oil. Toss and serve.
Recipe and image courtesy of lovesweetpotatoes.com
© Felice Tocchini 2014