Sweet potato soup with blackberry and basil sauce
This warming soup is full of antioxidants to keep you in top shape
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
For the soup:
3 large sweet potatoes
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 white onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 x 400ml can coconut milk
500ml fresh vegetable or chicken stock
For the blackberry sauce:
1 tbsp basil, finely chopped
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp parsley, freshly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/R6.
2. Cut the sweet potatoes into large chunks. Melt 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil and rub the sweet potato in the oil. Roast in the oven for 40 minutes until golden and cooked through.
3. Finely chop the onion. Heat the remaining coconut oil and add the onion, a big pinch of salt and the garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes then add the coconut milk, roasted sweet potato and stock. Simmer for 10 minutes while you make the blackberry sauce.
4. Place the blackberries, basil, lemon juice, honey, a pinch of salt and balsamic vinegar in a pot, bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer. Crush the blackberries with the back of a spoon and cook until the sauce reduces by half and thickens.
5. Blend the soup and top with the blackberry sauce and chopped parsley.