Sweet roast gammon
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: about 2 hours
2kg (4.5lb) Waitrose Unsmoked English Gammon Joint
1 litre (3.75 pints) carton apple juice
1 cinnamon stick
½ x 215ml (7Floz) bottle balsamic glaze
6 small English eating apples, such as Cox’s, cored and halved
- Place the gammon joint in a large lidded pan. Pour over the apple juice and add the cinnamon stick. Bring slowly to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 70 minutes, turning once.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Drain the gammon, reserving the cooking liquor, then place the meat on a chopping board. Remove the string and cut away the skin with a small, sharp knife. Lightly score the fat in a diamond pattern. Place the balsamic glaze in a bowl and stir in 3 tablespoons of the reserved liquor.
- Place the gammon in a roasting tin with the apple halves around the meat. Spoon the glaze over the gammon and apples, and cook for 45-50 minutes, brushing the joint occasionally with the glaze and turning the apples once.
- Remove the gammon from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Place the apples on a serving plate, cover with foil and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Stir 150ml of the reserved liquor into the juices in the tin. Pour into a small saucepan and cook on the hob for 2-3 minutes until bubbling. Serve the gammon with the roast apples, new potatoes, tenderstem broccoli and garden peas, drizzled with a little of the sauce.
Recipe taken from Waitrose: http://www.waitrose.com/home/inspiration.html