- 200g soba noodles
- 1 green pepper, cut into 8
- 1 sweet potato, cut into 2cm thick slices
- 1 aubergine, cut into 2cm thick slices
- 1 courgette, cut into 2cm thick slices
- 8 shitake mushrooms
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 bunch spring onions, chopped
- 8 king prawns, peeled and de-veined
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 100ml sesame oil
For the broth:
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 50ml soy sauce
- 100ml mirin
For the tempura batter:
- 300g self raising flour
- 1 egg
- 200ml ice cold water
How to make Tempura Soba
- To make the batter, pour the flour in a bowl. Mix the egg in a separate bowl and add the water. Slowly pour the water/egg mixture into the flour and lightly mix. The batter should still be slightly lumpy. Season.
- To make the broth, pour all the ingredients into a pan, season to taste and bring to a simmer.
- Cook the noodles in boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes then drain and refresh in cold water.
- Pour the vegetable and sesame oil in a pan and heat up. Test the temperature by adding a small drop of tempura batter in the oil, if it rises to the surface then the oil is ready.
- Individually coat the vegetables in the batter and deep fry until crisp. Leave the prawns until last.
- To serve, place some soba in the bottom of a bowl, top with the tempura, pour the broth into the bowl and finally finish with some spring onions.