Thai Beef Noodle Salad
Cooking time: About 40 minutes
- 2 lean rump or fillet steaks
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 45ml/3tbsp prepared Teriyaki sauce
- 5ml/1tsp sesame oil
For the Dressing:
- 30ml/2tbsp fresh lime juice
- 15ml/1tbsp Thai fish sauce
- Handful freshly chopped mint
For the Salad:
- 100g/4oz rice noodles, cooked and cooled
- 8 radishes, finely sliced
- ½ cucumber, thinly sliced (using a swivel head potato peeler) into ribbons
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1. Place the steaks in a shallow dish and season with the pepper. Add the Teriyaki sauce and oil. Coat well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
2. To prepare the dressing; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
3. Heat a non-stick griddle pan, remove the steaks from the marinade and cook on each side according to your preference. Alternatively, cook under a preheated moderate grill. Transfer to a warm plate and leave to rest for 1-2 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, mix the salad ingredients in a large bowl and transfer to a serving plate.
5. Slice the steaks and arrange over the salad. Mix the dressing together and drizzle over the salad before serving.
If you prefer to use fillet steaks, follow the cooking times below:
For a 2-3cm/¾-1¼in thick steak:
Rare: 3-4 minutes on each side
Medium: 4-5 minutes on each side
Well done: 6-7 minutes on each side