Toffee Apple Cake
Makes: 8-10 slices
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
385g can apple slices, drained, roughly chop half of the apple
397g can caramel (found at the supermarket in the canned milk section)
150g butter, softened
150g caster sugar
3 medium eggs, beaten
175g self-raising flour, sieved
Crème fraîche to serve
- Preheat oven to fan 160°C, conventional 180°C, gas 4.
- Grease and line the base of a 22-23cm cake tin with baking parchment.
- Using an electric whisk, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs, with a little of the flour after each addition.
- Gently fold in the remaining flour until all the ingredients are combined.
- Add chopped apple and gently swirl in 3Ž4 can caramel – do not over-mix.
- Pour the mixture into the tin; arrange the remaining apple slices over the top of the cake, cutting any thick slices lengthways.
- Spoon the remaining caramel over the top of the cake, then bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
Delicious served warm with crème fraîche. Using canned apples in juice or water makes this dessert healthier, as an 80g portion counts towards your 5-A-DAY.