Tofu and mushroom Pad Thai
Ready in: 40 minutes
300g dried flat rice noodles
Low calorie cooking spray
400g plain/naturally smoked firm tofu, cut into cubes
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
125g shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced (or other exotic mushrooms)
1 broccoli, broken into florets and thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
50g fresh beansprouts, rinsed
Half a bunch of spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
15g roasted salted peanuts, roughly chopped, to garnish
Small handful of chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
For the sauce:
Juice of 2 large limes, plus wedges to serve
¼ tsp sweetener
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
3 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp tomato purée
4 tbsp passata
1 level tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1. Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions then drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, put all of the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan with 75ml of water. Bring to the boil over a high heat then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
3. Spray a large non-stick wok or frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the tofu and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
4. Respray the wok or frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and add the dried chilli. As soon as it sizzles, add the garlic, mushrooms, broccoli, carrot and beansprouts. Turn the heat to medium-high and stir-fry for 1 minute, then add 2 tablespoons of water and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until the vegetables are just cooked.
5. Stir in the noodles, tofu and the sauce. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until well combined. Turn off the heat and stir in the spring onions.
6. Divide between plates or bowls and scatter over the peanuts and coriander.
Serve hot with lime wedges to squeeze over.
Recipes taken from Slimming World’s Veggie Deluxe, which is available in all Slimming World groups now and priced at £4.95. Find Slimming World online or call 0844 897 8000 to find your nearest group.
Photo: Slimming World’s Veggie Deluxe/Gareth Morgans.