Twisted macaroni cheese
Serves: 6 toddlers
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
300g dried pasta twists
400ml Growing Up Milk – ready-made or made up from powder
40g plain flour, sifted
40g unsalted butter
150g grated hard cheese – plus extra to sprinkle
100g frozen peas
100g frozen sweetcorn
100g cooked chicken, cut into small pieces
1 crust of bread
1 medium tomato, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / fan 180 / Gas Mark 6. Get the pasta cooking as per the pack instructions.
- Place the Growing Up Milk in a medium non-stick saucepan with the flour and butter. On a medium-high heat keep stirring with a whisk. As it comes to a boil, it will thicken to a sauce. This will take 5 minutes or so – be patient and don’t stop whisking!
- Add the cheese and stir to melt. Add the peas, sweetcorn and chicken. Once the pasta is cooked, drain it off and tip into a casserole dish. Stir through the sauce.
- Tear up the crust of bread to make crumbs (or put in the food processer for a few seconds) and use to cover the pasta. Finally top it all off with the slices of tomato and any extra grated cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes until crispy and golden. Allow to cool a little before serving.
- This sauce freezes easily – simply pour into a freezer bag and defrost in the fridge when you need it – adding a little more Growing Up Milk when you reheat in a pan.