Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 5 litres (2½pints) weak chicken stock
- 5 slices fresh ginger
- 5 chopped salad onions
- 2 peeled, bruised garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander stems
- 1-2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ tsp caster sugar
- 1cm piece of peeled fresh ginger cut into matchsticks
- 75g (3oz) shiitake mushrooms
- 100g (3½oz) bean sprouts
- 1 large carrot cut into matchsticks
- 100g (3½oz) finely sliced mange tout
- 2 pak choi, bases trimmed and leaves separated
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- A scattering of mint leaves
- 1 Pour 1.5 litres weak chicken stock, 5 slices fresh ginger, 5 chopped salad onions, 2 peeled, bruised garlic cloves and 1 tbsp chopped coriander stems into a large pan. Bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2 Strain the stock into another saucepan and stir in 1-2 tbsp soy sauce, 1½ tsp caster sugar, a 1cm piece of peeled fresh ginger cut into matchsticks, and 75g shiitake mushrooms.
- 3 Cook for 1 minute, then add 100g bean sprouts and a large carrot cut into matchsticks, 100g finely sliced mange tout and 2 pak choi, bases trimmed and leaves separated. Simmer for 2 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
- 4 Remove from the heat, stir in 1 tsp sesame oil and serve with a scattering of mint leaves.
Recipe and image courtesy of waitrose.com