Venison & Chicory Salad
Welcome to one of this month’s healthy family recipes.
Please share your own ideas and healthy family recipes in the Healthy Family Recipes section of Candis Chat
Venison & Chicory Salad with Warm Blackcurrant Cassis DressingPrep: 15 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
2 venison steaks
knob of butter
3 tbsp olive oil
2 handfuls of young leaf spinach or mixed salad leaves
1 head of chicory, separated into leaves
A small handful of crumbled feta cheese
1 tbsp hazelnuts, lightly toasted and roughly chopped
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp cassis
1 tsp sugar
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Heat a griddle pan until hot, then turn the heat down to a medium heat.
2. Season the venison with salt and a little black pepper, and rub oil all over with 1 tbsp of oil.
3. Cook for roughly 3-4 minutes on each side for medium rare, depending on thickness, adding the butter half way through to help the browning process.
4. Remove from the pan and set aside on a board to rest until needed for serving.
5. Meanwhile, make the warm dressing by adding the blackcurrants, cassis, balsamic vinegar, sugar and the remaining olive oil into a blender. Blitz together until combined, then pass through a sieve into a small pan and heat through until the dressing becomes a slightly thicker syrup consistency.
6. Season to taste and keep warm on a very low heat.
7. When ready to serve, divide the salad leaves onto two warmed serving plates or bowls.
8. Slice the venison into strips and arrange on the plates, followed by the crumbled goats cheese and toasted hazelnuts, then pour the warm dressing straight from the pan. Eat and enjoy immediately!
For more recipes, please visit www.blackcurrantfoundation.co.uk