Victoria Sponge Drops
100g unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
125g self-raising flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 tbs cocoa powder
200ml fresh cream, whipped
4tbs Duerr’s Strawberry jam
4tbs Duerr’s Blackcurrant jam
Icing sugar, to dust
1) Preheat the oven to 160˚C fan/ 180˚C conventional.
2) Weigh the butter, sugar and flour into a large mixing bowl and add the eggs. Beat with an electric whisk for 2 – 3 minutes until well combined, light and fluffy.
3) Spoon about half of the mixture into another bowl, sift over the cocoa powder and stir in gently with a metal spoon.
4) Place small teaspoons of the plain mixture neatly onto baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper or parchment. You should be able to fit about 12 on each tray. Bake for about 5 minutes until just firm but springy to the touch. Repeat with the chocolate mixture. Set aside to cool.
5) Whip the cream. When the sponge drops are completely cooled, spoon or pipe a little cream onto half the drops, then add a blob of jam (blackcurrant on the chocolate sponge, strawberry on the plain).
6) Place another sponge drop on top, dust with icing sugar and serve.