Warm Duck and Orange Salad
Welcome to one of this month’s healthy family recipes.
Please share your own ideas and healthy family recipes in the Healthy Family Recipes section of Candis Chat
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 8 -10 mins
1 large orange
30ml/2 tbsp light soy sauce
15ml/1 tbsp clear honey
5ml/1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
1 clove garlic, crushed
2.5cm /1in piece root ginger, peeled and chopped
2 duck breast fillets, skin removed
1 red pepper, deseeded
1 (250g) pack mangetout and baby corn
150g/5oz frisee lettuce, trimmed washed and dried
50g/2oz watercress leaves, washed
15ml/1tbsp sunflower oil
50g/2oz pomegranate seeds
1. Pare the zest from the orange and keep to one side. Use a knife to slice away the skin and pith; then slice between the membranes to release the orange segments. Set these aside. Squeeze the remaining centre of orange over a bowl to catch the juices.
2. Mix the soy sauce, honey, 5 spice, garlic and ginger into the orange juice. Slice the duck fillets and add to the juice mixture. Leave to marinate for 10 mins.
3. Meanwhile, cut the pepper into slices; cut each baby corn in half down the centre; do the same to the mangetout. Arrange the lettuce and watercress in a large salad bowl.
4. Use a slotted spoon to lift the duck from the marinade. Heat a large frying pan, when hot add the oil, then the duck and stir fry for 5-6 mins or until browned. Add the pepper, corn and mangetout and stir fry for 2 mins.
5. Finally add the marinade and cook until reduced slightly. Remove the pan from the heat. Spoon the stir fry on top of the salad leaves, top with the orange zest, segments and pomegranate seeds.
6. Toss the leaves then serve straight away.