Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
2 x 100-150g (4oz-5oz) salmon fillets, skinned of
zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
salt and black pepper
2 x 25cm short crust pastry squares
10 fine asparagus spears
1 egg, beaten
Spinach & watercress pâté
1 tbsp olive oil
50g/2oz asparagus, finely chopped
zest of 2 lemons, juice of 1
200g/7oz mascarpone cheese
2 tbsp chopped dill
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/R6.
2. Make the pâté: heat the oil in a large saucepan and wilt the watercress, spinach and asparagus. Cool slightly then use a sieve to squeeze the water out of the vegetables.
3. Transfer the greens to a blender and add lemon zest, juice, mascarpone cheese and dill. Blend to a smooth paste and season to taste.
4. Season the salmon fillets and squeeze a little lemon juice over. Take each sheet of pastry and spread a little pâté in the centre, then top with a salmon fillet. Cut the asparagus spears to the same length as the fillets and then lay 5 on top of each.
5. Brush the pastry edges with beaten egg and fold to wrap the salmon up tightly.
6. Place the salmon parcels on a greased baking tray and brush with beaten egg.
7. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
8. Leave to cool slightly and serve with the remaining pâté and fresh green salad.
Cook’s tip: If you are feeling festive, roll out extra pastry and make a bow so the parcels look like a Christmas present!
Recipe and image courtesy of Wild Alaska Salmon.