Pataks Diwali Recipe – Yellow Korma Lentils
Welcome to one of this month’s healthy family recipes.
Please share your own ideas and healthy family recipes in the Healthy Family Recipes section of Candis Chat
350g yellow lentils (can use red lentils)
2 medium onions-finely diced
2 tomatoes -de-seeded & finely diced
3-4 fresh or dried curry leaves
1-2 tbsp Patak’s korma curry paste
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp asafoetida
½ tsp black mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
Juice of half lemon
Salt to taste
1. Rinse and soak lentils in cold water for 30 minutes
2. Drain the lentils and add to a large pan with water, simmer gently for 45-50 minutes or until lentils are well cooked. skim off any starch foam that rises to the surface with a ladle.
3. In a separate pan, heat the oil over a gentle heat, add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. once they start to pop add the curry leaves and asafoetida. Take care not to burn the mixture.
4. Add the diced onions and cook for 4-5 minutes until golden
5. Add Patak’s Korma paste and tomatoes and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
6. Add cooked lentils and season according to taste
7. Squeeze in the lemon juice.
8. Serve with toasted naan sticks.