Yorkshire Bonfire Parkin
In Yorkshire and Lancashire, Bonfire Night would be unthinkable without a generous portion of this classic sticky ginger cake!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 60 mins
225g Self raising flour
110g Muscavado dark brown sugar
80g Chopped dates
½ tsp Ground nutmeg
1 tsp Ground ginger
200ml TOTAL Greek Yoghurt
110g Golden syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2, then line a 22cm baking tin.
2. Sieve the flour in to a large bowl and add the sugar, ginger, nutmeg and dates.
3. In a small pan gently heat the butter and syrup until melted.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg into the yoghurt. Gradually pour the butter and syrup into the flour and stir until the mixture is thick. Add the egg and yoghurt mix, and stir until smooth.
5. Pour this mixture into the pre prepared lined tin and bake for 1 hour.
Parkin is traditionally served at its best after being left to settle for a few days. It will last a couple of weeks if you store it in an airtight cake tin. Serve with a large dollop of Greek Yoghurt.