Freestyle Stripy Patchwork Pouch
This cute zippy pouch is quick and easy to make – don’t be scared of the zip! Taking a freestyle approach to patchwork is a great way to start and will help you use up your fabric scraps too! This pouch using the Spots and Stripes Brights Capsule Collection.
Duration:1 to 2 hours
By Katy Godbeer
Step by Step
1. Take a selection of fabric scraps (my largest was about 20x7cm). Stitch them together with a 0.5cm seam allowance to make a roughly rectangular shape with the strips of fabric running diagonally. Trim to make a 19x15cm rectangle. Cut a second piece from a coordinating fabric and a third and forth from a contrasting pattern.
2. Press each of the pieces with an iron.
3. Take a 6” zip and sandwich the right side of the patchwork piece to the right side of the zip, with the right side of the contrasting lining fabric to wrong side of the zip (right sides of the fabric will be together with the zip in the centre. Stitch fairly close to the zip with a straight stitch. Turn the fabric so the fabric is right side out and using a zip foot, top stitch along the edge of the fabric nearest the zip. You can maneuver the zip past the needle by lifting the foot when the needle is in the fabric.
4. With the zip half open, turn so the right sides of the outer layer are together and the right sides of the lining are together.
5. Making sure the teeth of the zip are facing the exterior fabric stitch all the way around the two parts of the bag, leaving a gap at the bottom of the lining. Turn to the right side through the gap and stitch the gap in the lining closed. Push into the bag and press to finish.
You will need
PMA 358400 Fat Quarters (5pcs) – Capsule – Spots & Stripes Pastels
PMA 358401 Fat Quarters (5pcs) – Capsule – Spots & Stripes Brights
docrafts® are responsible for the UK’s leading crafting website www.docrafts.com and Creativity Magazine. They pride themselves on providing an abundance of inspiration, tips, techniques and know-how, covering a wide range of crafts, to enthusiasts across the World. Many of the UK’s leading products and recognized brands such as Papermania, Xcut, Forever Friends™, Me to You™, Boofle™, Anita’s, Craft Planet and Cousin Jewellery come under the docrafts® umbrella.